CIES Conference 2019
1:45 PM to 4:45 PM on April 14, 2019
Comparative and International Education Society (CIES) Conference
Title: Sharing Your Research with the World (Pre-Conference Workshop)
Location: Hyatt Regency San Francisco (Level 1, Pacific M), 5 Embarcadero Center, San Francisco, CA 94111
Event Information: https://cies2019.org
- Main Course Handout: CLICK HERE. If you require another format, such as MS Word or RTF, to be compatible with assistive technologies for readers with impaired vision, please click here to request one.
- Examples of venues through which you can share (book’s table of contents): CLICK HERE
- Lists of conferences, awards, publications, etc. (click the “eResources” tab you find after you CLICK HERE)
- Infographic of easy ways to share your education expertise with the world: CLICK HERE
- Over-the-Counter Data Standards (CLICK HERE) for Improved Communication of Data (e.g., effective data visualization)
Description: For your research to have maximum impact, it can’t languish on a single website or dusty shelf. This workshop will help attendees take a variety of stages – be they live, recorded, or written – and rock those stages so their research can resonate with a variety of audiences to be cared about, remembered, shared with others, and applied to helping students. This workshop is based on 1) content the presenter teaches at University of Cambridge on how to best communicate research findings, 2) content the presenter teaches each year in a course through the American Educational Research Association (AERA), 3) content covered in the presenter’s latest book on this topic, and 4) the presenter’s experiences sharing findings with diverse audiences. The workshop is appropriate for attendees who have researched (or are currently researching) any topic within the education field and who want their findings to reach as many people as possible in order to help as many students as possible. Attendees will learn about a variety of opportunities, how to land those opportunities, and strategies to maximize those opportunities to share their work with varied audiences. The workshop is split into three sections: laying the groundwork (branding, websites, social media, etc.), speaking (TED Talks, conferences, media interviews, NPR/radio, etc.), and writing (book deals, journals, magazines, etc.).